Thursday, July 4, 2013

LEGACY: History's Concubine

The restrictions and the definitions. Always, we quantify our moments between the sunrise and the sunset. 
The children; oh, how they play with time, yet find you with none: having nothing. One of a lineage of beggars, you are forever seeking time. You run, and run so hard. With each step hitting the ground, and the whole world is awake to time's chasing after you. 
Unlike the child, well aware that this is not a race against time; unlike the child knowing that we must simply attempt to touch time, in order to change the times. Unlike that child, you continue in your trade, packaging time for an empty, worthless eternity; this is what you do.
In every room, you find the clock; in everything you find the taxation of the watch. Exchanging time as a commodity; this is what you do.
Perhaps, on a good day, we would find our exchange of time no different from the exchanges-of guns and mirrors and liquor-made, in an attempt to shackle the African race. 
We would find history unkind as a lover scorned. Of all the stories of history "amended"; of all that history knows of this lineage, how shall you ever find time, and not smoke and mirrors?
Yes! The world hears your feet upon the ground, indeed it does. It listens as you stomp between the sun, rising, and its setting. You fear a battle with time, do you not? What have you learned from the child, my friend?
Stop now! This time you quantify with a tick and a tock, I demand to see you qualify. Show me how your time has made it as one of History's concubines: Of quality, I see the work of Dashrath Manjhi's hands. Of quality, I hear the tales of "the Crown of Palaces". Of quality like no other, but the pyramids of Africa. 
Show me the quality of your time and History only, will reveal your heart: of this, I ask. I speak of time, I speak to time.... Of all the catastrophes abandoned to her in captivity, how do your own talks with History, not bind you so immaculately to this living currency that you say is time?
You run from-and prepare to battle-the SUNRISE; this is what you do.

6 comments:

  1. Wow!!!! Very deep and thought provoking piece......my heart is pondering on this already, I have read it thrice! Well done Maya and THANK YOU!
    Florence Ozor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aunty Florence, I am glad I will be writing for a reader like you. I could not respond to your comment earlier because I was helplessly flattered. Three times? wow. I wish to know what your heart knows by now.

      I hesitate to claim this as mine as I could feel the rush of divine inspiration. However, I thank YOU very much for reading, and for thanking me.

      Delete
  2. Brilliant literature. Like a child I ll endeavor to touch time. Much appreciation

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A-ha! Thank you Ofei. I appreciate your applying yourself to it.

      Delete
  3. And now u have me thinking that I've been going through life wrongly. Inspirational and life changing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My pen dared to be inspirational-at the conception of this piece-but not life-changing. I know now what boundaries can be broken.

    Glad to be writing for a reader like you!

    Thank you Isma.

    ReplyDelete